AEM 3340 – Women, Leadership, and Entrepreneurship – Streeter

Here’s something to keep in mind with Spring 2014 pre-enroll coming up this week! 

Comments from Professor Streeter:

1) Why is the course valuable to entrepreneurial students?

Every year I ask the students “If someone asks you, “What is the true value of AEM 3340?” what would you say?”
Here is one of my favorites from last year: 

Professor Deborah StreeterThe true value of this course is in the combination of speakers, building and developing business skills, and the readings. The trio is so well structured without it being to prescriptive for the students. The course allows the students to go through a journey about themselves by learning different concepts and applying them to their own lives. The value lies in how applicable it is to every decision that one makes in their lives. I also see a lot of value in this class by raising awareness about the lack of women in senior management. This class has instilled people with knowledge about gender work force trends, so that when the people in the class go out into the workforce, they are better able to help change those trends. 

2) What kind of students should/ should not take this course?

Both women and men are welcome in this course!   One of my male students told me that the value of the class is:  “For everyone: A great deal of insight. For men: great deal of emotional intelligence.” 

3) What are the challenges associated with taking this course?

About a third of the students usually tell me it is more work than other 1-credit classes.  

4) Other points the professor wants to share about the course.

I enjoy all my courses, but I have to say this is the one that keeps me thinking about my own personal development as a female, so I really have benefited from teaching it.