Just Save One – Kennedy Ogoye ’12

The following is an interview with Kennedy Ogoye ’12, CEO of Just Save One:

What is the mission of Just Save One?

In 2011, I founded “Just Save One” (JSO), a non-profit organization committed to developing sustainable solutions to the water crisis that has drowned many under privileged communities.

Our goal for 2014 is to provide 20 schools in Kenya with water tanks. We are already in our third school and we hope to continue providing water tanks every month until the end of the year.

How did you come up with the idea for JSO?

Since unclean water yields illness, roughly 443 million school days are missed every year. Additionally, lack of access to clean water and sanitation kills children at a rate equivalent of a jumbo jet crashing every four hours. Looking back, I realize just how lucky I am to be alive today. Yes, there are one billion people like myself, but knowing how close I was to dying, I know how it feels to be counted as a statistic.For me, it was not an idea to start an organization, but one that was meant to bring dignity to many who are just like me. 

How many students are involved? Who are the Cornellians working on JSO?

So far, we have 2 Cornell alumni on my executive board: Spencer Roane, Vice President and Kuldip Singh senior strategist

And 5 in my Youth advisory team:

• Max Martinez `13
  • Ankur Bajaj `13
  • Gloria Appiah-Kubi `13
  • Karim Abouelnaga `13
  • Nixon Ricardo Arauz Melendez `13

Are you currently recruiting?

We are not recruiting currently, but we are willing to work with any student who wants to help us on a volunteer basis. 

Just Save One