CUSummit Q&A: Pointers from Dana Price, MBA ’11

Dana Price

At this year’s Entrepreneurship Summit, I had the pleasure of sitting next to Dana Price. From the outset, I could tell this was going to be an interesting conversation. We immediately compared and contrasted this year’s event to that of previous years and exchanged our thoughts on what made year’s event different from the others. Even though I didn’t know Dana prior to the Summit, I had a blast learning more about her entrepreneurship experience. Her amicable and approachable personality made the downtime before the speakers had walked on stage just that much more enjoyable!

Comments from Dana Price, MBA ’11:

What was your favorite take-away from this year’s Entrepreneurship Summit? 

That I can buy insoles made from a 3D printer. Yes, I am serious, that was what stuck with me. 🙂

Can you speak a little about your past business and why you started it?  

I was trying to solve a problem that existed and figured I would give it a go to see if I could do it instead of waiting for someone else to solve it.

As someone who has created her own venture in the past, what are the most important lessons you’ve learned?  

It’s okay to fail, but fail fast; equally important to vet your team, find out as quickly as possible whether you are the perfect match.

What were the greatest challenges you faced and what would you have changed to overcome those challenges more easily?

The technology side, and understanding how it all works. I would have dove deeper, earlier.

How does your current role as the VP of M&A at McGraw Hill Education leverage the skills you learned as an entrepreneur?  

Don’t be afraid to ask what you perceive to be the dumb question, it’s probably not dumb at all..

Do you have any words of wisdom to students aspiring to be entrepreneurs?

It’s all about being at the right place at the right time. An opportunity is what you make of it. Don’t be afraid to step outside your comfort zone. It’s okay to think twice, but don’t look back.